Thursday, January 10, 2013

Birding at Hopkinton State Park

Since we're in the midst of a January thaw, I wanted to check out the reservoir at Hopkinton State Park and see if there was anything interesting there now that the water had opened up again.  It was a good birding morning at HSP!

Hooded Merganser (female)

The Common Redpolls were in their usual spot, eating seeds from the catkins of the birch tree.  I counted 21.






Yes, I stood on top of a picnic table to get a closer view of these cute birds.  The breeze must have been blowing in my direction, because I was being peppered by the tiny seeds that they were scattering as they plucked at the catkins.



Common Redpoll

The two female Buffleheads that I saw the other day at sunset were here again.  I was able to get a better picture of them once the sun came up.


I also saw a pair of Mallards...


 and about 80 Canada geese.

Canada geese w/ Buffleheads in front


No comments:

Post a Comment