Sunday, January 27, 2013

Birding at Great Meadows NWR

Today was still cold.  The thermometer read 31 degrees when I headed out at 1:30pm to walk at Great Meadows.  I figured the wind would be bad on the causeway, and it was, but once I made it across, it wasn't too bad.  Wind chill was about 0 degrees according to the radio, but it didn't feel like it.  There were quite a few walkers, joggers and photographers there, too, so it was not as lonely as yesterday's walks.

This was the first time the impoundments had a turquoise tinge to them, which I thought was really pretty.


Not too much in the way of birds, though, but here are the highlights:

Canada geese on the river




Eastern Bluebird







Song Sparrow


Downy Woodpecker





Black-Capped Chickadee



These were the same types of birds I have seen the last few times I have gone to Great Meadows.  If you go to the same place enough, there is usually a nice surprise.  I'm hoping the next time I visit, that will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment