Monday, January 26, 2015

Whack-a-Mole

I stayed home today, so these are all backyard bird sightings:

Northern Cardinal (male)


Northern Cardinal (female)

American Goldfinch

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Carolina Wren

Eastern Bluebird


One time when I looked out, there were no birds at the feeders, but I did catch some movement on the snow beneath.  There were two or three holes in the snow, and a little mole kept popping out, grabbing a seed and immediately rushing back into the hole again.  It took some patience but I was finally able to catch a shot of him!  It reminded me of the arcade game, Whack-A-Mole.  He was fast!  If it sticks around another day, I'll take a look at it in the binoculars and try to identify what type of mole it is.


The little brook that crosses under my driveway had some nice ice formations today.




We are now awaiting the big blizzard that is predicted for our area:  2-3 feet of snow, damaging winds, possible power outages.  We are already in a state of emergency, and travel is banned after midnight until further notice.  Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment