Sunday, January 11, 2015

Great Blue Heron

Not much to report today.  I stopped at the apartments on Route 9 to check on the reservoir there.  Yesterday, there was quite a bit of open water and as I drove past, I spotted a good number of waterfowl in there.  Today was another story.  It was frozen over except for a very small opening which held 2 Mute Swans.  The edges nearest the apartments held a good flock of mallards.  As I looked at them, I also found a Great Blue Heron skulking behind a bush there.  Bet he wishes he had flown a little farther south.






In the afternoon, I decided that I had better drive in to Forest Hills Cemetery and at least try to get a peek at the rare Black-Backed Woodpecker that has been seen there.  I arrived, and there was a group of people actively looking at it.  I moved closer but could not get my sights on it.  More people rushed over when they heard it was being seen again, some pushing at branches and chattering excitedly.  The bird flew off and was not seen again while I was there.

I was glad to see the cemetery, though.  It will be worth a return visit in the spring to see how it competes garden-wise with Mt. Auburn Cemetery.


This was the only winged thing I saw (besides White-Breasted Nuthatch, Black-Capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Dark-Eyed Juncos, Blue Jays and Downy Woodpeckers).  No Black-Backed Woodpecker for me, but I went too late in the day to give myself a fair chance.  If it hangs around......I may try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment