Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Day on Cape Ann

Today's high was 22 degrees without taking into consideration the wind chill.   It was a bit hard to get motivated for birding, but I decided a trip to Cape Ann would be enjoyable.

My first stops were at Motif #1 for a traditional photo, then Granite Pier (which was closed except for construction vehicles) and finally Halibut Point State Park.  Here, I took a hike down to the water and endured the bitter wind off the ocean in order to see some ocean birds!

Motif #1

Straitsmouth Island Lighthouse

The Quarry with the Atlantic visible beyond it


Just a bit cold on the shore!

Common Murre

Harlequin Ducks

I also saw Common Eiders and Bufflehead here.


It looked cold in the quarry too.


I stopped briefly to look across Good Harbor Beach.  I was still too cold from walking at Halibut Point State Park to be ready to walk again, and yet, someone was actually surfing today!

Thacher Island Twin Lighthouses


Great Cormorant


I decided to take a trip down memory lane and drove over to Wingaersheek Beach to take a walk.  We used to come here a lot when I was a kid and I hadn't been here in a long time.

Salt marsh on road to the beach

Annisquam Lighthouse from Wingaersheek Beach

closer


We spent hours on those rocks and in the tidal pools among them.  Good memories!

I took some back roads on the way home to add a few more town hall photos to my collection.  I stopped briefly at Gordon College to plug in directions, and I happened upon some fruit bearing trees that had flocks of European Starlings, American Robins and Cedar Waxwings.  A good stop!

Cedar Waxwing

European Starling

American Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment