Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Eastern Bluebirds

My husband rigged up a new line for me to hang feeders from.  It looks a little shaky, but it is temporary (or so he tells me).  I should take a picture of the setup.  I know it's not something you'd want to see in your yard!

Anyway, I hung a brand new suet cage last night, and voila, this morning I had Eastern Bluebirds!  It helps that we had snow flurries and cold temperatures (high of about 22 degrees).  I really enjoyed seeing those brilliant flashes of blue.   After seeing the good results from just the suet, I finished cleaning out my thistle feeder in preparation for re-hanging it, charged the battery in my regular squirrel-spinning feeder, filled it and hung it, and cleaned off the tray feeder and hung it and put in a cup of mealworms.

As a result of my efforts, I had many birds besides the bluebirds visiting the yard today, including:

American Goldfinch

Carolina Wren

Dark-Eyed Junco

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Cardinal

(This was the only shot I had before he flew off, but I loved that brilliant scarlet color against the white of the day.)

Tufted Titmouse

Also seen but not photographed:
Black-Capped Chickadee
Song Sparrow

A great bird feeder day!  I expect the squirrels and raccoons will test this new setup shortly, but today I had a free pass!








No comments:

Post a Comment