Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Red Fox at Breakneck Hill

I had to go to the dentist today (which I just hate), so I missed my lunchtime walk.  The best part of my day, therefore, was when I was walked at BHCL after work.  As soon as I got out of my car, I saw a small rabbit nearly under a parked car on the other side of the parking lot.

I saw great butterflies throughout my walk, one Indigo Bunting, several Eastern Bluebirds, Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows, American Goldfinch, and last, but not least, a small red fox in the grass next to the parking lot.  The fox just may have eaten the rabbit I saw at the beginning of my walk!  It had definitely just eaten something in that same area!  Fun!


 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

 Banded Hairstreak

 Striped Hairstreak

 Queen Anne's Lace

In my opinion, this flower is a gorgeous photographic subject in every stage of its life.

Banded Hairstreak

The rectangular trail along the woods at the back right of the property gets great butterflies when the sun is getting low in the west.  There had to have been at least 12 Banded Hairstreaks, many fighting with each other and then landing and bending sideways on the leaves of the trees.  There were also a couple Great Spangled Fritillaries, a dark Swallowtail species, and several skippers, and the azure below.  Lots to watch!


Summer Azure

 Hedgehog Gall (caused by a wasp)

 Eastern Bluebird (juvenile)

 Gorgeous!

 Dogbane

 another Summer Azure

And, last but not least, the red fox in the parking area!  What a treat!  Mine was the only car, and I was able to walk pretty close without frightening it off.  A white truck drove by, and ended up turning around and coming in for photos too.  The two guys looked like they were trying to attract the fox to them.  I hope they left it alone and just took photos....







I almost forgot I took a short video!


No comments:

Post a Comment