Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lunchtime Walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

Here are some of today's sights around BHCL:

Red-Tailed Hawk (juvenile)

Warbling Vireo

Pearl Crescent

Gray Hairstreak #1

Gray Hairstreak #2

Gray Hairstreak #3


Black Swallowtail

Great Spangled Fritillary

I also watched a noisy juvenile Blue Jay flying around with one of its parents.  Here is the full list of butterflies I saw during my lunch hour walk (and I was walking slowly to try to favor my back):
  1. Black Swallowtail
  2. Cabbage White
  3. Clouded Sulphur
  4. Common Ringlet
  5. Common Sootywing
  6. Common Wood Nymph
  7. Eastern Tailed Blue
  8. Gray Hairstreak
  9. Great Spangled Fritillary
  10. Little Glassywing
  11. Little Wood Satyr
  12. Monarch
  13. Orange Sulphur
  14. Pearl Crescent
  15. Silver-Spotted Skipper
I should mention that the skies above the meadows are very busy with Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows and Chimney Swifts.  Sometimes they appear to fly right up to each other and exchange a greeting before they continue swooping over the grasses.  They are a real challenge to photograph.  Too fast!




No comments:

Post a Comment