Sunday, May 25, 2014

Warblers at Odiorne State Park

We attended my nephew's high school graduation from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, NH on Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday.  After the ceremony, we enjoyed a 3-hour cruise on the beautiful lake, while the sun set in the distance but it rained all around us.







We even caught a distant view of the house we rented a couple summers ago!

We stayed in Portsmouth, NH overnight.   I headed to the beach in the morning, thinking I'd look for shore birds, but was distracted by this sign and ended up hiking here while others attended morning mass.  Priorities!


NH's spring is enough behind ours that the apple trees are just in peak bloom now, and the warblers were thick in the trees along the trails at the park.  Amazing.  I couldn't keep up with them all.



There were lots of Yellow Warblers and American Redstarts, as well as Pine Warblers, Magnolia Warblers, Black-and-White Warblers and who knows what others....if only the sun would have been out!

Magnolia Warbler
Come on!  Fly a little bit lower please.

American Redstart

Yellow Warbler
bobbing for caterpillars!

 Choosing his own picture frame



The view from the shore

 Magnolia Warbler

Starry False Solomon's Seal

Once I regained a bit of energy, I took a short, buggy walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.  I found the Scarlet Tanager again, in the same tree.

Scarlet Tanager

I also saw my FOY Common Ringlets.  One of them joined me briefly on the path for a photo op.

Common Ringlet

Run, Rabbit, Run!

I wasn't the only one annoyed by the bugs.

Killdeer 
(Community Garden area)



No comments:

Post a Comment