Friday, May 23, 2014

Misty Day at BHCL

I walked at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land before work this morning.  The grassy trail was very wet and a misty fog hung in the air above the trees.  It was cool, but at the same time, it was also very humid.  I decided that I would just take my binoculars and not take a camera because of the weather.  BAD DECISION.  It didn't rain at all the entire walk, and I saw so much that I wished I could have taken photos!

Three Indigo Buntings, a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, new blooming wildflowers, and as I was returning to the parking area on the trail along the edge of the Town Forest, a red fox came running down the trail towards me.   As soon as it saw me, it made a quick U-turn back up the trail away from me.  A brief, but beautiful sight!

In the afternoon, I decided to go back to BHCL with camera in hand.  Of course, this time it rained nearly the entire walk!  I thought I heard a Scarlet Tanager singing in the top of a tree along the edge of the Town Forest but was afraid it may be an American Robin fooling me.  It took me awhile to spot it, but I finally did.  Here is my rotten record shot, taken in spite of the rain.  I had to have proof!

Scarlet Tanager
(I had to do extreme post-processing to lighten it up.)

It makes me so happy to see another good bird at my local hiking spot!

Indigo Bunting

The meadows are filling in!

Baltimore Oriole (hiding)

FOY Purple Finch

Spotted Cranesbill (woodland geranium)

As I was walking up the trail where the cutoff is into the Town Forest, I caught a glimpse of a reddish animal with black legs running down the woodland path (the fox!).  I followed, hoping to see it again, but I never did.

Birds seen over both outings:
  1. American Goldfinch
  2. American Robin
  3. Baltimore Oriole
  4. Black-Capped Chickadee
  5. Blue Jay
  6. Brown Headed Cowbird
  7. Chipping Sparrow
  8. Eastern Bluebird
  9. Eastern Kingbird
  10. House Sparrow
  11. Indigo Bunting 
  12. Northern Cardinal
  13. Northern Mockingbird
  14. Purple Finch (unconfirmed)
  15. Red-Winged Blackbird
  16. Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (a first at this location)
  17. Scarlet Tanager
  18. Song Sparrow
  19. Tree Swallow
  20. Yellow Warbler (heard only)



No comments:

Post a Comment