Saturday, May 10, 2014

Bobolinks at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

I took a late afternoon hike at BHCL.  Thought as long as it wasn't raining, it'd be good to look for warblers.

Eastern Bluebird 
hunting insects right at the trail head

I cut through the Town Forest, where I saw one Juvenal's Duskywing and 3 Mourning Cloak butterflies.  I also was very happy to find Wild Oats in bloom.

Mourning Cloak

Wild Oats

Wood Anemone


Swainson's Thrush (life bird!)

 Song Sparrow


 House Sparrows mating 
(like we need more....)

 Bobolink

The orchard trees were full of Bobolinks!  I hope they stay!  Some were checking out the grass at the top of the hill.  Most were just chattering in the trees.  I estimate around 2 dozen Bobolinks, all males.  There was a lot of noise, so there may have been more.

Eastern Bluebird




No comments:

Post a Comment