Wednesday, February 5, 2014

More Backyard Birds

Snowed in today.   School was cancelled.  We have about a foot of fresh, powdery snow, and it's still falling although at a much slower pace.  When I got up this morning, I couldn't see the house at the end of our street, the snow was falling so heavily.

I had to be satisfied with watching the my backyard birds battling for their positions at the feeder.  I also watched snowflakes stack up on Cardinals, Chickadees and Mourning Doves.  The Mourning Doves sat so still for such a long time that their snow-covered backs would have made a wonderful photo.  They are a flighty bunch, so I knew that was not to be, and as it turned out, they left their perches to fly in for some seed before I went out anyway.

 Tufted Titmouse

 Northern Cardinal (female)


Black-Capped Chickadee

Song Sparrow

 Yes, it's a lot of snow.  But they're saying a bigger storm is coming Sunday...

I have one of those squirrel-proof feeders that spins if a squirrel jumps on, it sends them flying off.   Earlier this week, when I looked out, I saw it spinning away, but there was nothing on it.  The battery is now dead, of course, and I don't want to bring it in to charge it when so many birds are in need of the seed.  So far, I've been lucky and I've only seen one squirrel sitting on it, doing his best to empty it out. Eventually, word will get out, and they'll attack it, and I'll have to bring it in.  I'm not sure whether it will work properly again once it is charged.  Hope so.  Otherwise, I'll have to invest in a new feeder.  There are so many squirrels in my yard, but this is the one feeder that has thwarted them.  And occasionally, I get the rare treat of seeing a flying squirrel.  Wink wink.



No comments:

Post a Comment