Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Good News and Bad News

Which do you want first?



The good news!  Eastern Bluebirds came back today!


The bad news!  We are in the midst of another winter storm, dropping 3-5 inches (or more) of fresh, wet snow.  

The combination of bluebirds and falling snow is a nice one for photographs, so I shouldn't complain too much, but seriously.....I would like to be able to take a walk without my boots filling with snow!

This Bluebird looks like he's had enough of the snow, too!

I did take a very brief walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land today.  The snow was falling so heavily that there was really nothing I could take a picture of, and I had to protect my camera from the wetness of it all.  It accumulated quickly.   I chose to save these first two photos in Black & White.  I like the effect.



 Real life shot - looks more bluish.


Meanwhile, back at home, the snow really brought the birds (and a few squirrels) to the feeders.



 American Goldfinch

 I think the male goldfinches are getting ready to molt into their brighter feathers.  I think I can see noticeable changes on around their eyes at least....

 Tufted Titmouse

 The piled up snow grows higher and higher.... (ridiculous)

February 13th, a short five days ago!

(Notice the green vertical post for the plant hooks about six inches in from the left corner of the table?  As you can see in this photo, there is a support bracket showing.  In the above photo, the snow has accumulated higher than that support bracket.)

 Dark-Eyed Junco

 Black-Capped Chickadee

 Northern Cardinal

 There was a high of 4 males and 2 females visiting at one time.  So pretty in the snow!



Only 30 days until Spring!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment