Saturday, August 25, 2012

Harvester Butterfly

Today I joined the Massachusetts Butterfly Club field trip to The Fannie Stebbins  Wildlife Refuge in Longmeadow and Forest Park in Springfield, Massachusetts, searching for Hackberry Emperors, Tawny Emperors and Zabulon Skippers.  I had never been to this refuge before and I enjoyed exploring a new location, but I actually skipped the 2nd half of the field trip, heading home after Fannie Stebbins because I was so tired.

We struck out on Emperors (on the first part of the trip), but we did see a Zabulon Skipper.  The highlights for me, though, were a Harvester butterfly (my 1st!), an Appalachian Brown butterfly (my 2nd) and a Common Green Darner dragonfly (what a beauty)!!!!


Harvester


 Monarch


 Check out those antennae!


 Webworm Moth


 Black and Yellow Garden Spider


 Ctenucha Virginica Moth


 Common Green Darner (female)


 Painted Lady


 Eastern-Tailed Blue (faded and worn)


Painted Lady


 Eastern-Tailed Blue (fresh and lovely)


 Painted Lady


 Monarch


 Appalachian Brown



Appalachian Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment