Sunday, February 5, 2012

Wood Duck and Bluebird

Sunday mornings are usually quieter than other days....less dog walkers, less people in general.  I headed over to Farm Pond at 7:30 AM to see if I could find the wood duck again and try for a clearer picture.  Finally, I got a crisp picture of its eye, which is the part that I couldn't get clear before!


The wood duck is the official state waterfowl of the State of Mississippi.

The Great Blue Heron, Wood Duck and mallard pair were in the same area as the first time I spotted them. The Great Blue Heron immediately flew off, and the wood duck started chirping a warning call.  The mallards "hid" behind some branches overhanging the water.


I stopped at the Sudbury River in Ashland on the way home and spotted some bluebirds, juncos and a European starling.  This bluebird preferred the highest branch on the tree.  Note to self:  birding near an active train station can be frustrating!

"When Nature made the Bluebird, she wished to propitiate both the sky and the earth, so she gave him the color of one on his back and the hue of the other on his breast."  ~~John Burroughs


No comments:

Post a Comment