Friday, February 24, 2012

Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge

Hoping to catch the sun rise, I set my alarm for 5:30 AM and drove to Concord to visit Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.  The weather report on the car radio called for snow, mixing with rain, then turning to all rain.  Needless to say, there was no sunrise -- only a much less dramatic, dull grey daybreak.



There was plenty of wildlife activity on the impoundments, which made up for the lack of sun!

Hooded Mergansers

Canada goose

more Canada geese

American coots

and .... more Coots

Common Goldeneyes
(A first!  Now I can check this species on my life list!)

Muskrat (one of four seen today)

Red-winged Blackbird

Red-winged Blackbird (a little brighter shoulder stripe than the previous one)

 Mute Swans (sleeping)

Hey, did you wake me up?

Snowflakes!

Sorry for the blurriness of these photos.  I hope by this time next year, I will have learned better how to take pictures in low light with this camera!  

No comments:

Post a Comment