Monday, February 6, 2012

The Ugly Duckling?

Then he rustled his feathers, curved his slender neck, and cried joyfully, from the depths of his heart, “I never dreamed of such happiness as this, while I was an ugly duckling."  
The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen



The mute swan is a beautiful bird.  Stately, elegant, and graceful.  Most bird watchers in Massachusetts could care less about sightings.  It is too common.  Something appeals to me about them, though.  I don't care if they are rare or common.  They are beautiful and the contrast of their whiteness against the blue water of Farm Pond today was exceptionally beautiful.


This picture made me think of the ugly duckling looking down into the water and seeing his reflection after that first winter, when he suddenly found himself transformed into a beautiful swan.

Coming in for a landing:





Click on any photo to enlarge it.







No comments:

Post a Comment