Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bed or Birds?

I forced myself to skip crawling back into my warm bed and bundled up to go out birding before work.

I spotted the hooded merganser in the Sudbury River when I went over the bridge by the train station, so I pulled over and crossed into Marathon Park for an attempted photo.  The pair was there, but they were upriver from the park, and staying close to the wooded side of the river.  It's still such a thrill to see them!  They are so beautiful.  I hope they stay here to have their young so I can continue to watch them.

Hooded Mergansers (female and male)

I headed next to Wildwood Cemetery hoping to see the hawks.  I haven't managed to take a good photo of them yet.  I was immediately distracted by songbirds darting among the trees and a few woodpeckers.

Slate-Colored Junco

Eastern Bluebird on the highest perch possible

Song Sparrow


Tufted Titmouse

Eastern Bluebird

 Nuthatch

Downy Woodpecker

 Downy Woodpecker

Junco

  Song Sparrow

Just as I was getting in the car to leave, I spotted a hawk land in a distant pine tree.  It took off again before I could move in for a closer shot.  Guess that "good" hawk photo will have to wait for yet another day!  I do think it's a red-tail hawk.... 


Click on any photo to enlarge it.

No comments:

Post a Comment