Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Two Short Walks

6/30 - Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary:



Freddie and I walked out to the dam and back at Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary yesterday.  She had not been there before.  I wanted to check on the Osprey again, and one was sitting on the edge of the nest rather than in it.  Wow!  However, I was not able to detect any movement in the nest, and before we left, the Osprey had settled back down inside the nest.  I'm really beginning to think the nest is a failed attempt, and she just hasn't given up.  I did read on line that an osprey will push defective eggs to the side and then build up the nest again on top of them, as if to try again.  So, maybe that is what is happening.  It's confusing!

Osprey

All along the dam, we were surprised to find some beautiful blue flowers in bloom.  They turned out to be a native wildflower -- Pale-Spiked Lobelia.  So delicate and pretty looking!

Pale-Spiked Lobelia




 Great Spangled Fritillary

 Eastern Comma

Indian Pipes

7/1 - Breakneck Hill Conservation Land:

Rain cut my walk short.

Tarnished Plant Bug

Sassafrass Leaf

Next time I see one of these, I am going to unfold it and look for what's hidden inside.  This quite possibly could have been a Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillar, hiding itself inside the leaf fold.  But I didn't look!

Lesser Maple Spanworm Moths

Common Wood Nymph

Jumping Spider
(Phidippus Johnsoni)

Indigo Bunting

Chipping Sparrow

At home in the garden:



No comments:

Post a Comment