Monday, September 15, 2014

Solitary Sandpiper at BHCL

I took my lunchtime hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land today.  I had an excellent look at a Solitary Sandpiper in the pond behind the wetlands area.



He pulled something out of the mud!  Lunch!

Besides the sandpiper, I also saw the following:

There's food in Mother Nature's pantry!

I often find an interesting phenomenon and that is a very "birdy" tree.  This birch tree was the birdy tree today.  It contained a Northern Flicker, Eastern Bluebirds (at least 4), a Red-Bellied Woodpecker and a House Finch.  What is it that brings them all to a single location?  Oh, how I'd like to know their secrets!

 Northern Flicker and Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Bluebird

 Red-Bellied Woodpecker

 House Finch


 Eastern Phoebe

Bee Fly (Villa hypomelas)

 Eastern Tailed Blue

Milkweed Pod going to seed

Large Milkweed Bugs and Nymphs

 Pearl Crescent

Purple-Stemmed Asters


No comments:

Post a Comment