Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pearl Crescents at Barber Reservation

I spent my lunch hour in Sherborn at Barber Reservation, staying in the meadows.  The small white flowering aster was attracting a lot of pollinators, and I easily saw over 20 Pearl Crescents, 2 Cabbage Whites, 4 Clouded Sulphurs and 2 Eastern Tailed Blues.

Crane Fly

Pearl Crescent

Pearl Crescents


Eastern Tailed Blue

closer

a Trifecta
Bumblebee, Bronzed Cutworm Moth, and Pearl Crescent

There is a lot of competition for the few nectar sources that remain this late in the summer!

Eastern Bluebird

Yellow-Throated Vireo (I think)

After work, Freddie and I took a walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.


Blue Jay

Red-Tailed Hawk (juvenile)

The blue jays were dive-bombing this hawk.  Even though it looks well-camouflaged, he wasn't fooling them for a second.  He didn't stay here long and soon flew to the top of a nearby telephone pole.

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet





No comments:

Post a Comment