Thursday, May 26, 2016

Lupines and More

Yesterday afternoon's walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land yielded a few first-of-year butterfly species.

 Song Sparrow
gathering food 

Silvery Blue

Tawny-Edged Skipper
first-of-year

Dusted Skipper
(first-of-year)

 again

Indigo Bunting

Hobomok Skipper enjoying the pollinator garden
(first-of-year)

This morning Sharon and I walked at BHCL.  I didn't focus too much on nature sightings, but we did stop to check out the Indigo Bunting.

Indigo Bunting

In the afternoon, I walked at Westboro WMA, hoping for warblers.  Highlights were:

Spotted Sandpiper

Yellow Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Baltimore Oriole


After work I headed over to Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary, figuring it was time to check on the Pileated Woodpeckers and the Ospreys nesting there.  


It was a beautiful night for a walk!

  
Pink Ladyslippers


Pearl Crescents, flirting

Fringed Milkwort

Oh, look, a distant sighting of a Pileated Woodpecker!

I started heading towards the tree, where the nest is, but of course it took off before I could approach. It did happen to fly towards me as it departed, so I attempted a flight shot.

 Pileated Woodpecker

Song Sparrow

OK, so its "just" a Song Sparrow, but would you look at the leaves that are framing it?  Love it! 

Christmas in May!


 Cedar Waxwing

Common Grackle

a triple Fringed Milkwort

Fu Man Chu

I had to stop at the drug store on the way home, and I happened to glance over at the spot where I found lupines last year.  Surprise!  They are out!  Unfortunately, the road that used to go right past the lupine field is no more.  It's much harder to get a look at them now.







No comments:

Post a Comment