Saturday, May 28, 2016

Horn Pond Blooms and Butterflies

A few MBC members and I braved the heat (90s) and climbed Horn Pond Mountain today to see what butterflies may await us.  Not many, for the most part!  I only had a couple hours to give to the cause, and I was drenched with sweat by the time we were done.  For me, the wildflowers were the star of this walk!

 Common Yellow Wood Sorrel (native)

Eastern Tailed-Blue

False Solomon's Seal (native)

 Dusted Skipper (note white eye ring)

Red Columbine (native)

Fringe Tree (native)

Common Star-grass (native)

More work required.  Too tired to do it tonight!


Not sure about the ID of this one.  One of the guys on the walk suggested it was Sundrop, in the mallow family.  I can't find anything like that in Go Botany.  It looks closest to Yellow Horn-Poppy, but more research is required.

Pink Ladyslippers

Beantown

American Copper

curious Northern Mockingbird

Juvenal's Duskywing (I hope)

Red Sand-Spurry (non-native)

No comments:

Post a Comment