Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Very Birdy Mother's Day

I started out the day meeting up with Freddie to attend the Forbush Bird Club's Annual Mother's Day Walk at Mt. Auburn Cemetery.  We felt very lucky with the weather, as the sun peaked out occasionally early in the morning and was enough to draw some birds in.  Here are the wonderful highlights:

 Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (female) 
First-of-year

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak (male)
same tree; they flew in together

Northern Cardinal among the violets
Gorgeous!



Lincoln Sparrow

This bird generated a lot of excitement and was a life bird for many in the group.  I wasn't as excited about it as some of our other sightings, though.

One of the best sightings for me was watching this Baltimore Oriole weaving its nest.  Very cool!

Baltimore Oriole
weaving its nest

Another look

Black-and-White Warbler

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

nesting American Robin

another Baltimore Oriole

Warbling Vireo

Hairy Woodpecker

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Great Horned Owl!
My favorite bird of the walk, in spite of it not being a warbler!!
We saw two, but the other was hidden by pine branches.

Rain came in and it was time to break for a Mother's Day luncheon anyway, but later, when the sun was out again, I went to Westboro WMA in hopes of further warbler sightings.  Highlights of this walk included:

Baltimore Oriole

 Yellow-Rumped Warbler

Northern Parula

Warbing Vireo

Mystery sparrow
Could it be a Clay-Colored Sparrow?  I only had the opportunity for one quick shot and then it disappeared into the undergrowth.  White throat, definitely right head coloring, but there was lots of streaking down the sides....not sure.

Yellow-Rumped Warbler

 Black-and-White Warbler 
(My best photo of one so far; they move so fast!)

Great Blue Heron

 Pine Warbler

American Redstart (female)

American Redstart (male)

Yellow Warbler (male)

Yellow Warbler (female)

And another male!  They are so cute!

Palm Warbler

When I drove in past the beach, I noticed a Canada goose family, so I stopped to check them out on my way out.  There were two geese seated by the edge of the water and no babies in sight, but when I got out of the car and approached the fence, the mother stood up and four goslings ran out from under her warm feathers!








2 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn: Regarding the mystery sparrow, the fine chest streaks and buffy/yellow malar make me think Lincoln Sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That matches the streaking I noticed. Odd to see two in one day!

      Delete