Sunday, May 22, 2016

Another Nature-Filled Day

The weather report wasn't very good, but I planned to check on the Great Blue Heron rookery in Concord and see if I could photograph some juveniles.  While in the area, I took an extended walk at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.


  



In spite of light rain, it turned out to be a good morning for a walk at Great Meadows.  One of the first birds I saw after going into the refuge was a Great Blue Heron.


There were lots of wood ducks today, too, all in pairs.  I didn't see any families, though.


Eastern Kingbird

The Eastern Kingbirds were near each other, but only this one was working.

Red-Winged Blackbird

 Common Grackle

Marsh Wren

Ragged Robin

Yellow Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Another Wood Duck pair

Hooded Merganser (female)

Canada Geese family

Mute Swan family

Common Yellowthroat (female)

She was working hard, building a nest inside some low cattail reeds.  She flew back and forth, over and over, and I could see her moving around within the reeds but couldn't actually see her.  She was so well camouflaged in spite of her yellow throat that several times I thought was was in the reeds when she was actually out collecting more materials.


  
Pink Ladyslippers

Starflowers

Willow Flycatcher

Bluets

  

another Common Yellowthroat, singing


Some of my photos of the Great Blue Heron rookery were taken from the cemetery.  While I was there, I saw a pair of Eastern Bluebirds near my car.


In the afternoon, when the sun came out and the day looked a bit brighter, I couldn't resist the temptation to visit Tower Hill Botanic Garden and see what might be in bloom.

  

  

I spent a lot of time around this tree, a Red Horsechestnut, because there was a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird flying around it.  I never did get a photo, but when I first saw it, it was flying back and forth between this tree and another, in an arc, almost looking like it was swinging.  It must have been protecting its tree from some competition, but it sure looked funny!



  


  



Canada goose

There were two geese in the meadow, of all places.  This one looked like it was snapping up insects off the grasses.

  
                                      Starflower                                        Pink Ladyslipper

Bluets

Ladyslipper

Indigo Bunting

There were several Pearl Crescents flying about when the sun stayed out.  One corner of the meadow had them nectaring on buttercups and fleabane.



Its chin is definitely yellow!  It likes butter.



  

   



 Wild Turkey, displaying to a couple of females


No comments:

Post a Comment