Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Looking for Pileated Woodpeckers

I went back to Waseeka Wildlife Sanctuary with one thing in mind:  try to spot some Pileated Woodpeckers.  That didn't work out.  However, always trying to be open to what presents itself to me, I still had a wonderful time.  Here are the highlights:

Brown Creeper

As I approached the water, suddenly the air was filled with birds flying in for a landing in the woods.  Warblers!  Most were palm warblers, but there were also Pine Warblers and Yellow-Rumped Warblers.  This was the largest flock of warblers I have ever seen, and it was very exciting!  I'd say there were 30 or more birds.  Very cool!

A lot of plants along the dam's edge were showing new spring growth:

 Pussy Willow

 ??

Leatherleaf

and a closeup

And a second chance at photographing some British Soldiers Lichen growing in partially submerged log:



The clouds broke apart, and the sun shone down, and the sanctuary looked beautiful.  For a few minutes!  Then the clouds closed in once again.

Osprey, at its post beside the nest

As I returned across the dam, I suddenly noticed may flies swarming about.  One was intent to land on me, and then on my camera bag, so I took a photo of it.  Its wing pattern was quite pretty.


Hooded Merganser
(blurry, terrible one-handed shot)

another look at the Osprey



Great Blue Heron

Flat-Branched Tree-Clubmoss
aka Princess Pine

another busy bird
Hairy ? Woodpecker

On my way out, I came across that flock of warblers again!  I took several blurry, distant shots and was able to confirm identification of the three species I named previously, but had nothing worthy of sharing.  It was hard to leave with so much activity in the woods!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Thanks for the tour of Waseeka.
    I think the shrub with red-flowers may be Black Huckleberry (Gaylussacia baccata), and woodpecker appears to have some black barring on the white outer tail feathers, suggesting he is a Downy.

    ReplyDelete