Thursday, April 17, 2014

Two Red Foxes

I tried a new destination today:  Cowassock Woods and Ashland Town Forest.  I am trying to make more of an effort to explore the green spaces in my own town.  It was an ok hike, although parts of the trail were very root-filled or rocky, making watching for wildlife secondary to watching my feet (for which I have no patience).

American Robin



White-Breasted Nuthatch



Have you ever tried to peek inside the skunk cabbage flower?  


Downy Woodpecker

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

My evening outing was much more fun, though.  First, I stopped at Hopkinton State Park.  There were a few Canada geese, one of which I noticed has a silver leg band just before it disappeared into the water.  The Pied-Billed Grebe was still on the water, too.  I also had a fly-by Double-Crested Cormorant.

Next, I stopped at Sudbury Reservoir Trail on Parkerville Road.  I first saw a pair of Northern Cardinals.  Then, I saw a red fox cross the road, and chuckled to myself as all the squirrels ran up into the trees as fast as they could, chattering warnings to each other from tree to tree.


I lost sight of the fox, but a little further down the trail  I ended up finding two!  The sun was sinking low in the sky, so the light wasn't good for photos, but I enjoyed spending at least a quarter of an hour watching them.








Farewell, my foxy friends!

Parting shot of the Sunset 

No comments:

Post a Comment