Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Return of the Broad-Winged Hawks

Happy Earth Day!  I like to think that the earth is worth celebrating every day.  I started the morning at Hopkinton State Park, where, unfortunately, the black flies are back in their glory.  Just opening my car door to leave, at least 50 of them came into the car!

Species seen:
Blue Jay
Canada Goose
Chipping Sparrow
Double-Crested Cormorant
Mallard
Mourning Dove
Mute Swan
Northern Cardinal
Tree Swallow

 Tree Swallow

 Mute Swan

 Chipping Sparrows

Double-Crested Cormorant

Today  I saw the breeding Broad-Winged Hawks (first time this spring) that live in our neighborhood.  They didn't stay long but will no doubt set up a nest somewhere nearby.

Broad-winged Hawk

I took my lunchtime hike at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land.

Species seen:
American Crow
American Robin
Black-Capped Chickadee
Eastern Bluebird
European Starling
House Sparrow
Northern Flicker
Northern Mockingbird
Red-Winged Blackbird
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Tufted Titmouse

I've heard that the Conservation Commission has plans to remove this old farm "building" so I thought I'd take a photo before it's gone for good.


Savannah Sparrow (1 of 2)

and again, sitting nice and high on an old cow patty

 American Crow


 Mourning Cloak butterfly (1 of 2)

again!

No comments:

Post a Comment