Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring Thaw Continues

The early morning was very pretty.  The sun was out, the sky was blue, and the icy surface of the reservoir at Hopkinton State Park was shrinking (finally!), allowing reflections once again on the open water.  The water level was really high from all the melting, and the beaches were all covered, and the boat docks were completely under water.



I walked a little way down my favorite trail, only to find that it had suffered a lot of damage over the winter.  Someday soon, it will no longer exist.  The bordering trees continue to rot and are either cut down or falling down.




Canada geese and mallards once again put in an appearance, and the geese were breaking the silence of the morning with loud honking.




On my lunch break, I checked out Middle Road in Southboro along the Sudbury Reservoir Trail.  I scanned a large group of Canada geese, looking for a rarity but finding none.  In the reservoir, I found Common Mergansers, Bufflehead and Mallards.

Along, the path next to Rural Cemetery, a White-Throated Sparrow flushed in the thicket.  I also saw dozens of American Robins, and several Dark-Eyed Juncos, Blue Jays, Northern Cardinals, Northern Flickers, Song Sparrows, and American Crows.

White-Throated Sparrow
Love that camouflage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment