Sunday, April 27, 2014

April Showers

I hope these rainy days bring some May flowers!

George and I were just getting in the car to go to Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary when I saw both Broad-Winged Hawks near the driveway.  One flew off, but the other one appeared to be eating something.  I sneaked up the walk and attempted to get a picture of whatever it was having for breakfast.



We managed to get 2.5 miles in at Broadmoor without any rain spoiling it.  Species seen:

American Goldfinch
American Robin
Black-Capped Chickadee
Canada goose
Eastern Bluebird
Eastern Phoebe
Mallard
Northern Cardinal
Osprey
Red-Winged Blackbird
Song Sparrow
Tufted Titmouse
White-Throated Sparrow
Wood Duck

 Osprey

Canada goose

A Canada goose nested in this exact spot last year, too, and I don't think it was successful.  Don't know why they like it so much....it is a very exposed location.

Black-Capped Chickadee

Song Sparrow

American Robin w/ nesting materials

I picked up my first tick of the year on this hike, but I did have to go off-trail a bit where a tree was blocking the path.  At least it wasn't embedded....

Meanwhile, back at home, I must give you a status on our Eastern Bluebird nesting box.  In the crazy wind gusts we had last week, the box got turned around and was now facing some shrubs.  It didn't take 24 hours before some Black-Capped Chickadees took it over.


It's a cute bird, but it's no bluebird!

In the late afternoon, the sun started popping out for short periods between really dark clouds.  Showers were predicted, but I hoped I could squeeze another walk in without getting soaked.  I wanted to check the forest where the fire happened and see if any wildflowers might have popped up.  Nothing noticeable at this time.  Ferns were starting to push their way through the leaf litter, though.




Species seen:

American Robin
Common Grackle
Downy Woodpecker
Great Blue Heron
Mallard
Osprey
Tufted Titmouse

In case you were wondering, two rain showers passed through while I hiked and the sun was out in between.  Strange day!

No comments:

Post a Comment