Thursday, December 5, 2013

New Section of the Sudbury Reservoir Trail

It was 42 degrees and grey at lunch time, but I had seen some diving ducks over in the reservoir the other day so I thought I'd stop at the causeway on Route 85 (Cordaville Road).  I parked by the gate on the East side of the road and spotted a nice group of waterfowl in the water:  Common Mergansers (about 20), Hooded Mergansers (3) and a solo mystery duck which was a I guess to be a Ruddy Duck. 1st year drake Bufflehead.  Thanks to Alan M. of the Forbush Bird Club for help with the correct identification.

Common Mergansers

Hooded Mergansers

1st year Bufflehead (drake)

After all the ducks scattered, which they normally do as soon as a human walks anywhere near them, I drove over to the small muddy parking area next to the Rural cemetery and walked the Sudbury Reservoir Trail west towards Middle Road, seeing only Song Sparrows, Dark Eyed Juncos and Blue Jays along the way.  There was nothing in the water on this side of Route 85, probably because the water had started to freeze over.

Song Sparrow

I retraced my steps, crossed Route 85 and walked east towards White Bagley Road.  This section of the trail was much prettier.  The Bufflehead had flushed over to this side of the water, so I got another look at him.  More Hooded Mergansers.  A Hairy Woodpecker.  Blue Jays.


Hairy Woodpecker

It was a pleasant walk in spite of the weather, so I'm glad I forced myself to get out of the house!


No comments:

Post a Comment