Tuesday, December 10, 2013

First Snow at Breakneck Hill

Today we had our first significant snowfall, just barely coating the ground but enough to cause problems on the roads.  Still, it made my hike a pretty winter wonderland.

I walked at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land at lunch and even my own tracks were nearly covered by the time I doubled back to leave.  I saw one hawk, although I heard one Eastern Bluebird (but never saw it), heard one woodpecker sp. but never saw it, and heard two American Goldfinches fly overhead.  I did catch a glimpse of them, but they were just gray specks against the falling snow.  Right as I reached the last hill before the parking area, what I believe to be a juvenile Northern Harrier flew overhead, and I managed to catch a couple photos of it.

The coating of snow gives things an entirely fresh look, after the landscape was getting a little dull from weeks of only earthy autumnal colors.












2 comments:

  1. Wow, that will have put a stop to the butterflies then!!
    We had a small scattering of snow about a week ago and since then it has been unusually mild.

    ReplyDelete