Saturday, September 14, 2013

Mass Audubon Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary and Elm Bank

I hadn't been to the Broadmoor in such a long time.  It was nice to go back and walk the familiar trails once more.  I saw a couple of wood ducks, a red-tailed hawk, several mute swans (boo), a gray catbird, American goldfinch, and a couple Eastern phoebes.  Heard calls of crows, nuthatches, jays.  It was a pleasant morning with clouds moving in towards the end.






Wood Duck




Afterwards, I stopped by the Mass Horticultural Society Gardens at Elm Bank in Wellesley to look for butterflies.


The hydrangea are taking on fall tones.




Osteospermum Asti White

Great Spangled Fritillary

Coleus Cranberry Bog


Coleus Chocolate Symphony




This was such an unusual bloom and it wasn't marked.  I would love to know what it is!

Since there were no wedding pictures in progress, I walked into the formal garden area with the fountain.  I don't usually go in here and was really surprised to find a bunch of different colored water lilies in the fountain.  Beautiful!








American Beautyberry


Gazania New Day Red Shades



Salvia splendens Lighthouse Purple

And last but not least, a funny grey squirrel was collecting acorns and couldn't chatter at me when I took his picture!





1 comment:

  1. Dawn,
    I am a volunteer working on this year's Friends' School Plant Sale in St. Paul, MN. This sale has grown to be the largest annual plant sale in Minnesota; it raises a good deal of scholarship money for the school and has for over 20 years. We have a wonderful print catalog each year, but it can only accommodate photos of a small percentage of the plants we offer. Our goal is to have a picture of each plant offered on the website. I am a volunteer tasked with finding the pictures for new plants and I am have a difficult time finding good photos of a Cranberry Bog coleus. You have a beautiful picture on your blog.
    http://massbutterflies.blogspot.com/2013/09/mass-audubon-broadmoor-wildlife.html

    Might we use it? Proper attribution would be given.

    If we find a few others that we need, might we use them as well?

    If you would like to know more about our plant sale, here is our website:www.friendsschoolplantsale.com/history/ or you can ask me!

    Please contact me if you have any questions,

    Laurie Krivitz
    lkrivitz@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete