Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Butterflies

Today's critters:

A beautiful Viceroy visited the yard.  If you don't know how to tell a Viceroy from a Monarch, click here.




I did see a fresh female Monarch today at Weston Nurseries in Hopkinton.  I don't have a photo record, but I do want to keep track of it.  It was the third monarch I've seen this year within Massachusetts, the fifth if you count the two I saw while in Southwest Harbor, Maine.

When I came back from lunch and took a walk up and down the driveway to check for butterflies, I noticed this little tree frog camping out on a black-eyed susan.  You just never know what you'll find outside!

As I stepped into the garden in order to get its eyes in the photo (its back was to me), a garter snake slithered off into the woods.  I wonder if that is why the frog was on the flower?  I think it is a Common Gray Tree Frog.






2 comments:

  1. The Viceroy is a stunning butterfly and you have captured it beautifully in your picture. You have so many amazing creatures there. I love the tree frog and to have snakes and humming birds, etc must be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can have the snakes! But I guess I have to take the good and the bad! I am glad for the wildlife habitat around my home!

      Delete