Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Leonard's Skippers

Today brought sunshine, a break in the humidity, and temps in the high 70s.  In other words, it was  perfect weather to return to the Sherborn Power Lines in my quest for a 2013 Leonard's Skipper.

Leonard's Skipper 






Praying Mantis (after it flew across the trail right in front of me)


Viceroy
(love this photo!)


Common Grass-Leaved Goldenrod
It looks like a Bald-Faced Hornet flying towards it (although I don't have a good angle of its face.)

Pearl Crescent


Common Wood Nymph


Great Spangled Fritillary


Peck's Skipper


Gray Hairstreak


Eastern Tailed Blue


Great Spangled Fritillary

Complete list:
Clouded Sulphur 6
Eastern Tailed Blue 4
Viceroy 4
Great Spangled Fritillary 4
Leonard’s Skipper 4
Peck’s Skipper 2
Least Skipper 1
Gray Hairstreak  1
Common Wood Nymph 1
Pearl Crescent 3

Back at home, I had a Downy Woodpecker visit my thistle feeder (usually only Black-Capped Chickadees, Goldfinches and Tufted Titmice), and a Zabulon Skipper resting near the Buddleia that sprang up on its own out front.  Bird activity has definitely increased in the yard since I put sunflower seeds out again.  I hope I'll see some Fall migrants soon....


Downy Woodpecker

Zabulon Skipper



2 comments:

  1. Wow, 11 species of butterflies in one day. I can't imagine that just now. Only a month ago we may have managed that here, but it is much cooler and grey now. I do like the Viceroy - subtly different from the Monarch, but somehow more attractive. A bit like a stained glass window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better, it was in about one hour! I'm not ready for cooler temps yet, but they are coming. I agree with you about the stained glass window. Very beautiful butterfly. I'm seeing so few Monarchs this year, but I am seeing more Viceroys.

      Delete