Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Black Swallowtail

Today's lunch break was a choice between picking tomatoes at my community garden plot or going to Framingham and looking for butterflies at the flower farm.  George said I should put off picking and check out the butterflies, because their season is running out.  Good advice!

It was pretty quiet there with the exception of Cabbage Whites, lots of Cabbage Whites.   Eventually, I did see a single Black Swallowtail, a Clouded Sulphur and an Orange Sulphur.  But, boy, compared to last year at this time, that is slim pickings.

There was a flock of about 20 Killdeer in the fields, which was nice to see.  I also saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, several Eastern Bluebirds, American Goldfinch, a Gray Catbird, and many sparrows, most of which I think were Chipping Sparrows.

It has been a beautiful week weather-wise.  Blue skies, with white fluffy clouds and temps in the 60s.  I loved these orange flowers against the blue sky.





Black Swallowtail

 The only other interesting looking flying insect.....

There are still beautiful flowers in the field, and they are for sale at 25 cents per stem.  I love the bright colors!




No comments:

Post a Comment