Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Break at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land

I had a half an hour to walk at lunchtime today, so I kept the drive short and hit Breakneck Hill for a quick walk.  There's no denying that summer is coming to an end and Autumn is just around the corner.  I saw two types of aster in full bloom on this short hike.

New England Aster


Calico American Aster


 Clouded Sulphur (female)

I was back-tracking to try to get closer to this Clouded Sulphur and had just sighted it through my camera viewfinder when all of a sudden a second Clouded Sulphur (male) flew into view!  That doesn't happen very often!



Birch Tree

Viceroy (way off the trail)

Eastern-Tailed Blue

I always check the fresh cow droppings and the areas around the cows' watering holes for puddling butterflies.  That's how I found the above ETB.  They aren't always found on pretty flowers!  I also checked for butterflies on the pretty zinnias in the community garden but didn't find any there.



Back at home, on the wild side of the white picket fence that separates my "garden" from the jungle beyond, there are some grapes ripening on the vine.  I wish you could smell them ~~ They smell wonderful!  



No comments:

Post a Comment