Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wild Turkey

Remember my post "Everything You Wanted to Know (and then some) About Wild Turkey Anatomy"?  Well, today was the first time I actually saw the blue coloring in the turkey's head, and there were also some caruncles on his neck, which had not been there before.  Interesting!

Is this because mating season has begun, or was Tom mad at me for threatening his birdseed supply in 19 degree temperatures?  No female turkey was present, and there was no change in the snood, so.....it may have been a territorial thing.  Still, on other visits, I have been in exactly the same location without these results.

Tom was noisier today, too,  gobbling multiple times (making local dogs bark), and he ruffled his neck feathers and gave me two rippling displays of his tail feathers.  I think he was a little disappointed that I didn't go away after all his efforts!

Only a mother could love that face!



See the lovely new caruncles?

Yes, I do believe he's getting even bluer.


Other birds at the cemetery this morning included eastern bluebirds, dark-eyed juncos, chickadees, a red-bellied woodpecker, and a tufted titmouse.  I would love to get a photo of a bluebird in snow.  May try to go back for that!

On a separate note, this morning I checked on the Great Blue Herons that I had seen nesting in Framingham, and there was no sign of them.  It was very cold, and I am wondering if they found the pond to be too small (quick freeze), or if they are just elsewhere temporarily trying to keep warm.  They didn't make much progress on the nest.  

I saw several Great Blue Herons in downtown (!) Ashland last night and checked that spot this morning, too, but none was there.  I'm thinking it's the temperature.  Will be interesting to check again tomorrow, when it is supposed to be in the 60s.


No comments:

Post a Comment