Monday, March 19, 2012

Chasing and Kissing

This afternoon I spotted two birds in the middle of a courtship mid-air chase, looping around trees and doing some impressive flying tricks in unison.  They split up into trees on either side of the driveway, and I tried to draw closer to the one I could see.  Based on the photo, I'd say they were Eastern Phoebes.  


Earlier this morning I noticed a pair of cardinals near the back feeder.  The female perched on the top of a post near the feeder, while the male flew in to feed.  Next thing I knew, the  male flew to the top of the same post and fed the female a seed.  It looked like a kiss.  I was so surprised!  A while later, after the female flew to a nearby bush, he repeated the gesture.  It was so sweet!  Oh, to have caught a photo of that!   Spring is definitely here - the birds know it, and the bulbs do, too!




It looks like I may have my first daffodil as early as tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment