Thursday, March 8, 2012

10,000 Birds (well, not quite!)

After having no luck yesterday trying to find and photograph birds in their natural habitat (and not at my feeder), today was the exact opposite.   I went back to the Sudbury River in Ashland and walked to the far end of Gryncel Park, passing through some deep mud on the way, but eventually I came to a huge thicket with lots of birds (and varieties).   What a fun start to the day!

Red-tailed hawk

I first saw this hawk flying over the river with two crows dive-bombing it.  Later, it flew over the ball field in the open air and I was able to catch some photos of it.

Red-tailed Hawk

Canada geese flying over the river

Herring Gull

Red-winged Blackbird

American crows

 female Mallard

male Mallard

Dark-eyed Junco

Tufted Titmouse

Mourning Dove

Downy Woodpecker (or Hairy?)

Song Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Northern Cardinal

American Robin

European Starling


Trees have definitely begun to bud.  Spring is in the air!


 Sudbury River, looking west

I thought these reflections were so pretty!

Some would not find this pretty, but the birds certainly love it.


Meanwhile, back at home

No comments:

Post a Comment