Friday, April 24, 2015

Snow and Hummingbirds

Winter is refusing to release its grip on us.  This morning there were light snow flurries in the air.  A bit later in the day, I put out my hummingbird feeder for the first time.  It felt very strange doing that on the same day that it had been snowing.

Here are some of today's yard birds:

Wild Turkey

American Goldfinch

The suet feeders were very popular today.   I had both a male and a female Pine Warbler at the suet feeders today, which makes me wonder if they are sticking around rather than just migrating through.  I'll have to keep an eye out.

Downy Woodpecker and Pine Warbler (female)
on suet feeder #1

Pine Warbler (male) and Tufted Titmouse
on suet feeder #2

Pine Warbler (again)

Chipping Sparrow

Broad-Winged Hawk

Freddie and I walked at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land at lunchtime.  It was windy and cold, and we didn't see many birds, and I didn't take any photographs!

After work, the sky was really pretty, so I went to my favorite "big sky" locations, stopping first at Hopkinton State Park and then Chestnut Hill Farm.





I walked part of the trail through the woods because I wanted to see if the Marsh Marigolds were out yet.  What was I thinking?  The skunk cabbage was just coming up.  I'd say it's at least another 2 weeks before any Marsh Marigolds will show up!




Trying to keep an eye out for spring ephemerals, and I did manage to find some ferns just pushing their way up through the leaf litter.  No wildflowers, though.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment