Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Double-Crested Cormorant at HSP

After hearing that we'd only have sun in the morning, I forced myself out of bed to get some nature time in before work.  I went to Hopkinton State Park where I discovered May flies were out in full swarming force.  It was still a very pretty morning.  Here are the highlights:

Double-Crested Cormorant





The tree (above) was driving me crazy with its red budded beauty.  It just doesn't show up as well in the photo as it did in real life.



At lunchtime, I took a walk at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land with Freddie.  By this time, the sun was gone and the clouds had taken over.

 Song Sparrow
singing his heart out
Brown-Headed Cowbirds

Savannah Sparrow
posing nicely on a fencepost and looking very gorgeous!

Back at home, I saw Mama Eastern Bluebird fly out of the nest, and then something unusual happened.  Papa Bluebird went into the nest.  I had not seen this behavior before.  So far, he had just been posting guard in a nearby tree and calling warnings to Mama B. if either a car or a person was in the area.

I focused my camera on the nest box to wait for him to exit and was happy to catch this photo.  I wonder if his going to the nest meant that the babies had been born, but I do not know.  I plan to wait until I see the parents bringing food to the nesting box before I try for a baby bird photo.

Eastern Bluebird

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Not bad for another cool, cloudy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment