Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spring Blooms and Butterflies

I walked from Chestnut Hill Farm in Southboro down to Beals Preserve and then took a few trails through Beals Preserve.  Highlights included two Mourning Cloaks (even though it was only in the 40s)!


Also saw the Wood Duck again, this time with a female friend, as well as the Mallard pair.   They were hiding out at the back of the pond again.  Really hiding.   I actually heard the warning call before I saw them.  It made me look harder for them.

Several hawks were hunting over the meadow, too.

Sharp-Shinned Hawk 
(I think)

Red-Tailed Hawk

There were also several Tree Swallows swooping low over the water in the channel and checking out one of the birdhouses on the shore.

Tree Swallows
(there are two in this photo -  tiny tiny swallows!)

In the afternoon, I found some purple crocus blooming in the front of the house.  When I went up to take a photo, I flushed a Mourning Cloak!  Once I saw crocus blooming, I knew I had to drive out to Tower Hill Botanic Garden to see what else might be in bloom!

Just look at that bee covered in pollen!


Snow Drops




another Mourning Cloak!  
(I saw three here!)


Wood Frog

The Wood Frogs were quacking up a storm in several vernal pools.  They would quiet down if you tried to approach them, but eventually you could see their eyes just above the surface of the water.

Witch Hazel

I took a nice woodland trail that I haven't been on before.  I spotted two more Mourning Cloaks on this trail and one of them flushed my first Eastern Comma of the year!  

Eastern Comma

Hermit Thrush

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Phoebe

Witch Hazel







Spring has sprung!!


3 comments:

  1. Do those butterflies overwinter or have they already gone through the caterpillar chrysalis stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They overwinter as adults. The ones that overwinter in any other form need more time. Soon though!

      Delete
  2. Great to hear that the butterflies have started to show. It's interesting that your Witch Hazel and bulbs are three or four weeks behind ours, but so far we have had very few butterflies.

    ReplyDelete