Sunday, April 20, 2014

Spring Azure

I took an afternoon walk along the Sherborn Power Line trail.   The first thing I saw as soon as I got out of the car was a Red-Tailed Hawk circling above me.


The woodland trail that provides access to the power line was still muddy in spots and very eroded in many places, but was much easier to get through this time.  I saw 4 Mourning Cloaks in the clearings near the top of the trail.  I also saw a White-Tailed Deer foraging in the woods.  I couldn't get a picture of it because there were too many branches between us, but once it noticed me, it made a sound like it was coughing up a hairball.  I assumed it to be some kind of warning, so it's possible there was a fawn nearby.  It repeated the sound at least 4 times.

Mourning Cloak


Mourning Cloak

They're back!


This was one of two moths I saw but can't identify.   I'm going to take a guess that it is a Forage Looper Moth.   The other one is in the photo that follows.  I am not sure, but they may be the same type.


Eastern Towhee

 Turkey Vulture

 Spring Azure

Spring Azure

This is the same type of butterfly I saw yesterday at Tower Hill but didn't manage to get a photo.

Field Sparrow


No comments:

Post a Comment