Friday, April 25, 2014

Spring Birds, Butterflies and Wildflowers

Saturday it is supposed to rain all day.  I could hardly stand the thought of working a full day when it was sunny and 65 today!  So....I took the afternoon off!

1st Stop - Bolton Flats WMA, Lancaster, MA

I saw 2 Cabbage Whites, 1 Mourning Cloak,  blooming Trout Lilies, and the following birds:

Black-Capped Chickadee
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Chipping Sparrow
Great Egret
Greater Yellowlegs
Green-Winged Teal
Killdeer
Mallard
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged blackbird
Song Sparrow
White-Breasted Nuthatch
Wilson's Snipe
Wood Duck

Killdeer

Greater Yellowlegs 
(there were 12 present)

 Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher

Both the male and female were working hard on this nest, which is a pretty little cup all decorated with lichen.  I spotted a second nest (but no photo) of Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers near the parking lot, too.  Good habitat for them, I guess.


Again, collecting material

Trout Lily

ditto

Northern Cardinal

Cabbage White


2nd stop - Tower Hill Botanic Garden, Boylston, MA

There were lots of kids with their parents or grandparents, enjoying the last day of school vacation.  I walked a lot of trails, expecting to see butterflies and was shocked not to see any except for a couple Cabbage Whites in the flower gardens.  I thought I'd walk up to the summit, as a last resort, and at the top, I finally saw 3 Mourning Cloaks and 3 Spring Azures.  Bonanza!

The thing that really struck me at Tower Hill today was the perfume of the Magnolias.  Unbelievable.  Wish I could bottle that up and bring it home!

  Chipping Sparrow







Indoors, the African Violet show was set up for the weekend.  I didn't stay inside long, because that wasn't the point of this outing, but here are a few that caught my eye.








Meanwhile, back outdoors...




Chipping Sparrow


Eastern Bluebird

Moth
ID??

Black-Capped Chickadee

Blood Root

View of the Daffodil Fields from the woods

 Mourning Cloak



 Pine Warbler

Spring Azure

 Spring Azure

 ratty Mourning Cloak
(This one landed right at my feet, and I could barely focus my 300mm lens on it!)

Northern Mockingbird



No comments:

Post a Comment