Thursday, March 20, 2014

World Sparrow Day

Happy World Sparrow Day!  Did you celebrate?!

I, for one, am thrilled that today signifies the end of winter and the beginning of spring.  But am I really happy about World Sparrow Day?  Sparrows are a tough species for new birders.  They all look so much alike....until you start paying attention to the details.  That is, if you are given the chance.  Longer looks, and sharper, closer photographs are a must.  But I must say, now that more time has passed and more sparrows have become recognizable and familiar to me, I like them!

Here are some of the many varieties of sparrows that I have come across (and been able to identify, sometimes only with help) over the last couple years.  There are many more out there that I have yet to find!

Song Sparrow

Chipping Sparrow

White-Throated Sparrow

White-Crowned Sparrow
(click for enlargement)

Clay-Colored Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

House Sparrows

Ipswich Savannah Sparrow

American Tree Sparrow

Field Sparrow
(Click for an enlargement)

I took my lunch break at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land today.  It was warm (50) but very gusty and heavy clouds blew through most of the time.  Mud is definitely taking over where ice used to rule.  There were lots of birds today, and lots of bird song.  It certainly did sound like spring!



Eastern Bluebird

American Goldfinch

Song Sparrow

 American Robin

 Northern Cardinal

House Finch


No comments:

Post a Comment