Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring is in the Air

But not on the ground!

It was 58 degrees and sunny today, but we have a ways to go in the snow and ice melting department.  Still, at least it feels like Spring might be just around the corner!

I started the day watching the sunrise at Hopkinton State Park.  There was a battle between the sun and the clouds, and the clouds won for the morning.  Luckily, the sun came out again for the afternoon.


 (and yes, that's a lone Canada goose flying away on the left side of the photo)

I stopped at Breakneck Hill Conservation Land after sunrise and just enjoyed the birds that were singing.  They knew it was going to be a warm day!  A small flock of Red-Winged Blackbirds flew overhead and then landed in the cattails along the stream.  Later in the afternoon, I walked at BHCL, but the conditions were difficult again. The snow was wet and slippery.  I had on my microspikes, but still found my footing could not be completely trusted (but at least it was possible to hike!).  The air felt wonderful.  I saw one pair of Eastern Bluebirds near the pond at the bottom of the first hill, House Finches singing in the thicket along the backside of the orchard, Red-Winged Blackbirds singing in the marshy area (although I couldn't see them this time), and American Crows and House Finches near the parking lot.  Norm was also perched near the parking lot when I arrived but was nowhere to be seen when I returned to the car.

Norm!

Some patches of ground showing here and there.

 Eastern Bluebird (female)

American Robin (off the snow!)

Why it's hard to walk

Leaves are starting!

Run, rabbit, run!

American Crow


2 comments:

  1. Wow, don't know how you saw that rabbit, it's almost perfectly blended into its background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you my secret. It was out in the open snow when I saw it. The photo location is where it ran to hide. :)

      Delete