Saturday, March 29, 2014

Great Birding Morning

Since rain was predicted for later in the day, I got an early start and headed to Dexter Drumlin first.  I had heard of a large number of Snow Geese sighted here last night and hoped they might still be there this morning.  No such luck.  Still, it was nice to see and walk a new place, and I can only imagine how great it would be in the summer for butterflies.

These are the species I saw while at Dexter Drumlin:  Wild Turkey (one male displaying his tail feathers to several females), Canada Geese, Song Sparrows, Northern Mockingbird, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Northern Cardinal pair, European Starling (dozen), and American Robin (many).






This drumlin had an appearance similar to a capped landfill, but in reality, it was formed by a glacier receding across Massachusetts.  This ridge, sort of egg-shaped, is a record of the final direction that the ice moved.  Drumlin Farm, a Mass Audubon sanctuary that I recently visited, is another example of a glacial drumlin in the state.

While I was in the area, I decided to check out Doyle Community Park and Center in Leominster.

As I was on my way, I noticed a conservation area sign on the side of the road, so I pulled in.  I was at the Robert Frommer Conservation Land at Bartlett Pond.  It was here that I unexpectedly saw an American Woodcock in the daytime!  Fun!  Here's a short video of the nervous American Woodcock.  That song just popped into my head when I watched its bobbing moves!



I then continued on to and walked at Doyle Community Park, but I didn't see too many birds other than American Robins and Red-Winged Blackbirds.  There were some parts of the meadow trails here that had standing water which seeped into my shoes.  Note to self:  buy waterproofing spray soon!

On the way home, I stopped at Bolton Orchards and Country Store for some fresh cider doughnuts to share with my son.  If you've never had them, try one!  Delicious.  Coated with cinnamon sugar.  Still warm.  YUM.

After a brief break at home, I drove over to Waseeka and grabbed the last few hours before the rains walking there.

I created separate posts for the American Woodcock and my hike at Waseeka.  If you continue scrolling down the blog, you will find those.

No comments:

Post a Comment