Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tree Swallows at BHCL

83 degrees during my lunchtime hike at BHCL.  Nice breeze in the shade, but hot, hot, hot in the sun!

I only made it out for a walk once today!  The vegetable garden needed my attention tonight!  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  (It was also my birthday!)

Song Sparrow
nicely posed in his frame of grasses

I love meadows.  Just look at all that color!

European skippers
still present in the dozens (probably hundreds)

Twelve-Spotted Skimmer

Indigo Bunting singing
Head tilted back, singing.  Blue on blue.  Gorgeous!

Common Ringlet

If you look closely at the Common Ringlet photo (click to enlarge), you can see that it is in an ovipositing (egg laying) position.  Wish I would have noticed that at the time I took the photo.  I would like a photo of an egg!

There were surprisingly few butterflies in the field today, in spite of warm temps and sunshine.  It was pretty windy, but still......and the ones I did see were on the worn side.

Pearl Crescent

Juvenal's Duskywing

Mourning Cloak

This just may be the saddest Mourning Cloak I've ever seen.  Most of its cream edging is gone.  It has a horrid stain or scar on its right wing, and it is very tattered.

Hobomok Skipper


This looks like a member of the Leaf-Footed Bug family, although I haven't been able to narrow it down to which one.

Thick-Headed Fly

This fly was so pretty.  The wings were blue in the sun.  I had to get assistance with the identification, but now that I've read about them, they are kind of disgusting.  They are internal parasites of other insects such as wasps, bees, ants, cockroaches, crickets and flies.  They inject their egg into their victim.  The larvae feeds inside the abdomen of its victim until it is ready to pupate at which point, the host dies.  Circle of life.  But ICK!

A few days ago I mentioned how the entrance to the bird house the Tree Swallows are using on the first hill was blocked by branches that had grown up after they moved in.  I assume last night's wind blew the house around, and now they have open access.  AND....we have a view of the babies!  I had to lighten this photo in order to see it in the bright light, but take your binoculars!  You'll have a great view!

Tree Swallow feeding young

Circle of life!  Nice!





No comments:

Post a Comment