Saturday, June 28, 2014

MBC Field Trip to Horn Pond Mountain

In spite of being a bit jet-lagged, I joined the Massachusetts Butterfly Club field trip to Horn Pond in Woburn.  There wasn't a lot flying, but we had some good sightings.  I got separated from the group twice, accidentally, and the second time, I just decided to throw in the towel.  I was hot, thirsty and tired so I had enough!  The part I attended was good, but I've had better years at Horn Pond when more plants were in bloom.  Apparently, the electric company sprays the mountain to control the growth, and it is possible that that, in combination with a late spring, really limited the amount of nectar sources on the mountain.

Eastern Tailed-Blue

Edwards Hairstreak

Silver-Spotted Skipper

Red-Spotted Purple

Boston skyline from Horn Pond Mountain

American Lady ovipositing

Striped Hairstreak

Edwards Hairstreak
(Thanks to Facebook friends for the correction!)

I think this is a Spring Peeper.
baby American Toad!
(again thanks to Facebook friends for the correction!)
Several crossed the trail in front of me as I descended the mountain.

 Orchard Oriole (female)

Orchard Oriole (male)

Damselfly
possible Familiar Bluet

Ruby Meadowhawk

poss. Northern Rough-Winged Swallow (juvenile)
Thanks to Alan M. for help with ID.

Meanwhile, back at home, a couple of Red Fox kits may have moved under our shed while we were in Alaska.  George's noisy sports car will certainly scare them away in short order, but for now, they are still hanging out in our back yard.  I also spotted a Woodchuck coming out of the hole under the shed, so maybe they are competing for the same space.  I haven't seen a mother fox around, so don't know if these juveniles are on their own already, or if she is only around at night.  They are very cautious, much more so than adult foxes.  I had trouble sneaking out onto the deck to photograph them!

 Woodchuck

 Red Fox kit


Freddie and I took an evening walk at BHCL.  As soon as we hit the wooden bridge at the parking area, a juvenile rabbit took off into the brush.  It ran down the cow path so fast, it looked like it was on a race track!

Rabbit

 Eastern Bluebird (female) with insect

Cabbage Whites (mating)

The best sighting was a beautiful White-Tailed Deer with fuzzy antlers.  He came quite close to us as he grazed through the meadow.  He was a real treat to see!  It's nice to have some wildlife sightings in my home state after so much excitement in Alaska.  While we were on the back meadow, we ran into one of the people who attended the nature walk earlier this month!  It was a beautiful night for a walk!



No comments:

Post a Comment